Job Opportunity: Marine Structural Designer
Serving as a global leader in boat manufacturing since 1957, Willard Marine, Inc. is a recognized pioneer in the design and construction of high performance boats. In the 1980s, Willard Marine expanded its focus from recreational and commercial use to include military, law enforcement and public safety requirements. With over 50 years of design, engineering and manufacturing experience, repeat customers include the US Navy, US Coast Guard, Homeland Security, NOAA, Law Enforcement Agencies, and foreign governments alike. These are the most challenging customers in the world and represent the most demanding requirements. In response, Willard Marine boats have an unsurpassed record of reliable and durable performance under the most demanding conditions. It is no accident that the US Navy has placed Willard Marine RIBs on almost every significant surface ship in its fleet, more RIBs than all our competitors combined.
Currently offering over 20 models of world-class watercraft in both composite and aluminum configurations, Willard Marine is headquartered in Anaheim, California with additional facilities in Virginia Beach. Our bi-coastal manufacturing facilities and experienced staff ensure that Willard Marine's future reflects nothing less than our legacy - boats of unmatched quality since 1957.
Willard Marine is seeking an experienced marine structural designer. The structural designer will provide application engineering support and technical expertise for marine structural applications in both aluminum and composite (FRP). Designs and lofts almunimum and FRP structures for production. Assists in FRP mold design and advises during production floor assembly.
- Work on new projects to create structural components for boat hulls of both aluminum and composite (FRP) construction.
- Knowledge of 3D hull modeling and lofting techniques is a must.
- Prior experience with CNC machining forming and cutting technologies is considered a plus.
- Prepare/assist engineering drawings to be presented to company production groups
- Assists Project Managers with CAD tasks associated with boat design projects
- Ability to work proactively with company groups to design or propose new mechanical an piping system layouts prior to a formal project being accepted.
- Ability to assist or create analysis of current or new installation structure, incl. calculations etc.
- Create presentation of new product ideas or installations and support literature.
- Create sketches, renderings, or graphics drawings of 2D/3D models along with oral, written and visual materials.
- Develop technical portions of sales presentations including competitive comparisons
- Assist with creation of sales support literature for new products/features.
- Make technical recommendations for new options, if appropriate.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Performs conceptual CAD designs, testing/validation and/or development projects within area of assignment:
- Ability to plan and manage tasks of multiple challenging projects.
- Emphasis is placed on accuracy, accountability/ownership, adherence to formal internal and external standards, procedures and processes, and accurate, acceptable documentation and report writing.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret technical specifications.
- Ability to work in a team environment with little or no supervision.
- Ability to complete work requirements within Software Packages.
- Proficient in the following computer applications: AutoCAD Mechanical, Rhino and Solidworks Modeling Software, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Solidworks Simulation FEA or other finite element analysis system is an asset.
- Experience using advanced analytical software such as Mathematica, MATLAB/SIMULINK or Modelica is considered a plus.
- Ability to work from blueprints, sketches, or verbal instructions.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- An eagerness to learn, ability to work independently, and readiness for responsibility.
- High level oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to motivate, inspire and develop positive relationships.
- Highly entrepreneurial and willing to roll up his/her sleeves.
- Excellent customer service and employee relations skills.
- Solid time management, organization and prioritization skills.
- Strong people skills and customer focused attitude.
- Calculate transmission gear ratios, prop sizing and speed prediction for inboard and stern drive and waterjet propelled vessels.
- Create engineering models and drawings of engine installation, exhaust system, fuel systems, cooling systems, etc.
- Structural vibrations
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills in:
- Mechanics of materials, statics, and dynamics
- Finite Element Analysis techniques
- Design of bolted and welded connections
- Failure analysis of steel and aluminum structures, including fatigue
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years of progressive marine experience in commercial, workboat, military small-craft or related industry design. Industry experience may be considered in lieu of a formal educational background. A minimum BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is a plus.
- Proven ability to design all aspects of shipboard structural systems.
- Thorough familiarity with USCG inspected vessel regulations, ISO, SOLAS, MARPOL, ABYC and class society rules (ABS, Lloyds).
- Experience developing contract technical specifications, purchase specifications and test and trials memos for new vessel design, and existing vessel modifications and repair.
- Prior shipyard, boatyard or related marine industry construction experience is a plus.
- Broad knowledge and experience in composite (FRP) and aluminum structural design
- Direct experience in small fast craft design and construction an asset
Willard Marine offers an exciting and supportive business environment. We develop our people and reward their contribution. We work with openness and integrity. We are an equal opportunity employer. Please send your resume to email@example.com